SUCCESSFUL FIRST TESTS FOR RED BULL KTM AJO TEAM
published at 02/14/2013 / created by Marcia Hill
The Red Bull KTM Ajo Moto3 Factory Team came away from the first official Moto3 tests in Valencia, Spain well satisfied with their performance and that of the new 2013 KTM Moto3 bike.
Team manager Aki Ajo who also had his riders at the Almeria circuit in Spain last week for private tests and what he described as the team roll out said he was pleased with his three riders in the three days of tests just concluded.
“I am very happy with the first tests and I’m really impressed with the bike,” Ajo said. “Our lap times were not the main thing. We were here to try many different things, to find the right direction and to get a feeling for the new bike. Already we have the impression that it is much improved on the 2012 bike.”
Ajo said he was pleased with the performance of his three riders. Luis Salom, who has replaced Sandro Cortese, Moto3 World Champion in 2012 in the team, put in fast lap times on all three days. Zulfahmi Khairuddin of Malaysia was both fast and consistent and Ajo also said he was positively surprised by the good performances of his junior team member, Australia’s Arthur Sissis.
Apart from the official factory team, riders on other KTM-driven bikes were also impressive on the Valencia circuit. Overall fastest over the three days was Spanish talent Maverick Vinales who clocked a lap time of 1.39.299 on Day Three in the second session. Alex Rins of Spain was second fastest at 1.39.585 with Salom third overall fastest with 1.39.669.
Ajo’s son, Niklas Ajo, who this year rides a KTM for the Avant Tecno Team did well to be on the bike completing all three days of tests despite very recent surgery following a skiing accident. Ajo said Niklas was not expected to be on the bike for several months but had toughed it out despite still being in pain from his injury.
The Red Bull KTM Ajo Factory Team is now working at full speed to prepare for the next tests in Jerez next week.
Results (overall fastest times over three days)
1. Maverick Vinales (E), KTM, 1:39.299 min
2. Alex Rins (E), KTM, 1:39.585
3. Luis Salom (E), KTM, 1:39.669
4. Jonas Folger (D), KALEX-KTM, 1:40.050
5. Jack Miller (AUS), FTR Honda, 1:40.291
7. Alex Marquez (E), KTM, 1.40.468
11. Jakub Kornfeil (CZ), KTM, 1.40.543
12. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (MA), KTM, 1:40.564
14. Livio Loi (B), KALEX-KTM, 1:40.750
15. Arthur Sissis (AUS), KTM, 1:40.918
16. Ana Carrasco (E), KTM, 1:40.946
18. Philipp Oettl (D), KALEX-KTM, 1:41.109
23. Niklas Ajo (FIN), KTM, 1:41:250
25. Toni Finsterbusch (D), KALEX-KTM, 1:41.511
26. Jasper Iwema (NL), KALEX-KTM, 1:41.515
27. Eric Granado (BR), KALEX-KTM, 1:41.526
33. Florian Alt (D), KALEX-KTM, 1:44.672
Story KTM Blog – Moto3 Timelapse bike setup Red Bull KTM Ajo Factory Team
Story KTM Blog – KTM's Moto3 riders 2013