COMA ON TOP AFTER STAGE ONE IN SARDINIA
KTM factory rider and reigning World Rally Champion Marc Coma opened his account for the Sardinia Rally on Saturday, finishing with the fastest aggregate times after the two timed specials.
Marc Coma had just over a minute’s lead over rival Cyril Despres after the second of the two specials. Coma’s teammates Ruben Faria and Jakub Przygonski were in fifth and thirteenth at the end if the day that took riders from Alghero to Aborea on the Italian island over a total distance of 370 km. The timed specials were 60 km and 55 km respectively.
Coma said later that the stage had been a difficult one with lots of navigation. “It has been raining here in Sardinia and there was fog and a lot of water and mud so it is very different to other rallies. I am naturally happy that we won today but tomorrow is a marathon stage so we’re not allowed any mechanical assistance at the end of the day.” Riders use Enduro bikes for the Sardinia and Coma is on a KTM 450 EXC instead of his usual KTM 450 Rally bike.
Results Stage One Rally Sardinia (aggregate times after two timed specials)
1. Marc Coma (E), KTM, 2:27:34 h
2. Cyril Despres (F), Yamaha, 2:28:29
3. Alessandro Botturi (I), Yamaha, 2:28:51
4. Paolo Ceci (I), Yamaha, 2:29:11
5, Ruben Faria (P), KTM, 2:30:49
6. Joan Pedrero Garcia (E), Beta, 2:31:59
7. Mauro Uslenghi (I), Husqvarna, 2:32:18
8. Andrea Mancini (I), Beta, 2:33:09
9. Jordi Viladoms (E), Gas Gas, 2:33:26
10. Paulo Goncalves (P), Honda, 2:34:16
13. Jacob Przygoński (PL), KTM, 2:37:10