WALKER FINISHES SECOND IN THE TOUGH ONE!
KTM factory rider Jonny Walker, still battling with the after effects of glandular fever on Saturday finished second to Graham Jarvis in The Tough One at the notorious Nantmawr Quarry (UK) on a day that started with blizzard conditions with wind and snow.
Jonny Walker, who was signed in 2012 as a full KTM factory rider did not get away well and had to fight back into contention from about eighth in the opening lap. He then went on to slip past all the riders in front of him and even closed down and overtook Graham Jarvis. But then a spill on the rugged track, torn up by a trials race earlier in the day and had to make a pit stop to exchange muddy gloves and goggles.
After the first of the three-hour race he had again hunted down Jarvis and was within 20 seconds of the wily veteran racer before he hit a psychological wall and could not keep up the pace. Jarvis was then able to extend his lead but Walker managed to hang on for a very creditably second place at the checkered flag. Gas Gas rider Danny McCanny of the Isle of Man finished in third place.
Jonny Walker: “The race was tough going. The track was cut up form the race before and there were lots of rocks and tree stumps. I wasn’t able to beat Graham today but I have him in my sights for the next race.”
Walker will next compete in the first round of the British Extreme Enduro Championships in two weeks time.
Results The Tough One 2013
1. Graham Jarvis (UK), Husaberg, 12 rounds, 3:05:02 hours
2. Jonny Walker (UK), KTM, 12 rd., 3:13:56
3. Danny McCanney (UK), Gas Gas, 12 rd., 3:17:10
4. Paul Bolton (UK), KTM, 12 rd., 3:18:39
5. Alfredo Gomez (E), Husberg, 11 rd., 3:10:10
6. Ben Hemingway (UK), Beta, 11 rd., 3:12:29
7. Fabien Planet (F), Sherco, 11 rd., 3:13:23
8. Wayne Braybrook (UK), Sherco, 11 rd., 3:17:17
9. Xavi Galindo (E), Husaberg, 11 rd., 3:21:08
10. Alex Wigg (UK), Gas Gas, 11 rd., 3:23:10