DAY ONE: MEO STEPS UP TO RIDE E3 FOR FRANCE AT ISDE
World E1 Champion Antoine Meo made a solid start to the Sardegna ISDE 2013 on Monday after settling in to ride in the E3 class in place of injured KTM factory teammate Christophe Nambotin. The Six Days classic is being held on the Italian island of Sardinia.
Antoine Meo was riding with Johnny Aubert, Pela Renet and Jeremy Joly on Day One for the title-holding French team, which led USA and Australia in the World Trophy by more than a minute at the end of competition. Italy, Spain and Britain were ranked in that order.
With Meo easing himself in the E3 class riding Christophe Nambotin’s KTM 300 EXC, the day’s top individual rider in the World Trophy was Australian Daniel Milner. KTM Factory Team boss Fabio Farioli confirmed Meo only had a chance to test the bike the day before competition started. He said he expected him to be faster as the week continues. Although new to the bike, Meo still topped E3 and was third fastest overall on Day One, trailing Milner by just six seconds. Meo also won tests four and five (of six tests) on the opening day. '
French teammate Johnny Aubert of the KTM Factory team was third in the E2 class and fourth overall at the end of Day One. KTM's Spanish factory riders Cristobal Guerrero was second fastest E1 rider and Ivan Cervantes finished fourth in E2.
It was also a good day out for second placed Team USA, including KTM riders Kurt Caselli, Mike Brown and Charlie Mullins.
France also leads the standings in the Junior World Trophy ahead of Italy, USA and Britain but there is only 1:15 minutes separating the top four.
Overnight rain laid the dust for the first half of the race but with no more rain expected, Farioli said it might become an issue as the competition continues.
The ISDE is celebrating its centenary edition on the Italian island of Sardinia. It is the oldest offroad competition in the FIM (International Motorcycle Federation) calendar and started in the UK in 1913. As well as the world elite contesting the World and Junior World Trophies, it also attracts hobby and club riders. More than 600 are on the start for Sardegnia ISDE 2013.
Results Day One ISDE Sardinia 2013
1. France, 4:14:26 h
2. USA, +1:15 min
3. Australia, +1:26
4. Italy, +1:28
5. Spain, +3:28
Junior World Trophy
1. France, 2:35:59 h
2. Italy, +2.82 sec
3. USA, +35.22
4. Britain, +1:14 min
5. Australia, +2:31
1. KTM 1 (Auber, Meo Cervantes), 2:31:38 h
2. Honda HM (Joly, Albergoni, Salvini), +1:48 min
3. KTM 2 (Caselli, Mullins, Guerrero), +1:59
4. Husaberg 1 (Renet, Larrieu, Bellino), +2:09
5. Yamaha Australia (Green. Milner, McCormack), +3:11
1. Jeremy Joly (F), Honda, 51:10 min
2. Cristobal Guerrero (E), KTM, +8.35 sec
3. Lorenzo Santolino (E), Husqvarna, +13.48
4. Zach Osborne (USA), Honda, 16.96
5. Glenn Kearney (AUS), Husqvarna, +30.66
6. Giacomo Redondi (I), KTM, +32.83
10. Rudy Moroni (I), KTM, +56.26
1. Daniel Milner (AUS), Yamaha, 50:17 min
2. Alex Salvini (I), Honda, +1.01 sec
3. Johnny Aubert (F), KTM, +14.00
4. Ivan Cervantes (E), KTM, +27.36
5. Robert Taylor (USA), Kawasaki, +31.17
8. Charlie Mullins (USA), KTM, +40.20
9. Oscar Balletti (I), KTM, +41.30
10. Kailub Russell (USA), KTM, +1:02.38 min
1. Antoine Meo (F), KTM, 50:22 min
2. Mike Brown (USA), KTM, +43.84
3. Deny Philippaerts (I), Beta, +57.89
4. Chris Hollis (AUS), KTM, +1:05.67 min
5. Manuel Monni (I), KTM, +1:07.61