THREE-WAY PODIUM FOR KTM RIDERS AT MOTO3 GP OF ITALY
Red Bull KTM Ajo factory rider Luis Salom claimed his second Moto3 win of 2013 at the Mugello circuit in the Grand Prix of Italy on Sunday emerging in the final stages from a hard fought pack of riders who had shadow-boxed throughout the 20 lap race. Salom took the top step of an all KTM podium with Alex Rins and Maverick Viñales in second and third place.
Luis Salom who started fifth on the grid on Sunday is known for biding his time until the last phase of the race. He managed to make the break three laps before the end when Alex Marquez allowed him to pull a gap that proved decisive. Alex Rins and Maverick Viñales gave chase but the advantage was enough for Salom to carry it to the checkered flag. The Spanish rider also won the opening Grand Prix of the season in Qatar and has narrowed the gap to championship leader Viñales down to four points.
Salom’s victory was also important because it broke the winning rhythm of Viñales, who is probably his hottest rival. Viñales looked very strong throughout the race and was tipped to pick up his third race in a row after winning in Spain and France. Salom has proved to be one of the most consistent riders and like Viñales has finished on the podium in every race so far.
German rider Jonas Folger looked very strong in the open phases on the KALEX-KTM. He started on pole, his career first and pulled an early lead but quickly found Viñales boring down on him by lap four. He managed to hang on for sixth place at the end of the front group where completion was fast and furious throughout the race. Miguel Oliviera of Spain the only non-KTM rider in the group brought his Mahindra home in fourth place.
The following pack was also tightly contested with Niklas Ajo and Red Bull KTM Ajo’s Zulfahmi Khairuddin playing major roles in action, finally finishing in eighth and eleventh. Fahmi’s factory teammate Arthur Sissis was eighteenth.
Riders now have a week’s break before the Moto3 continues with the Gran Premi Aperol de Catalunya in a fortnight’s time.
Results Moto3 Mugello
1. Luis Salom (E), KTM, 39:53.827 min
2. Alex Rins (E), KTM, +0.099 sec
3. Maverick Viñales (E), KTM, +0.303
4. Miguel Oliveira (P), Mahindra, +0.757
5. Alex Marquez (E), KTM, +0.819
6. Jonas Folger (D), KALEX-KTM, +1.433
7. Niccolò Antonelli (I), FTR Honda, +16.464
8. Niklas Ajo (FIN), KTM, +18.627
9. Eric Granado (BR), KALEX-KTM, +18.957
10. Jack Miller (AUS), FTR Honda, +19.026
11. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (MAL), KTM, +19.147
15. Jasper Iwema (NL), KALEX-KTM, +28.582
18. Arthur Sissis (AUS), KTM, +29.214
19. Philipp Öttl (D), KALEX-KTM, +30.401
21. Toni Finsterbusch (D), KALEX-KTM, +30.657
25. Livio Loi (B), KALEX-KTM, +42.025
26. Ana Carrasco (E), KTM, +53.508
DNF, Jakub Kornfeil (CZ), KALEX-KTM, 1 Lap
Standings Moto3 after 5 of 17 rounds
1. M. Viñales, 106 points
2. Salom, 102
3. Rins, 81
4. Folger, 63
5. Marquez, 35
6. Binder, 34
7. Oliveira, 33
8. Khairuddin, 33
9. Kornfeil, 27
10. Masbou, 27
11. Ajo, 26
13. Sissis, 19
20. Granado, 7
21. Iwema, 6
23. Oettl, 1
24. Loi, 1
Manufacturers Standings Moto3 after 5 of 17 rounds
1. KTM, 125 points
2. KALEX-KTM, 63
3. Mahindra, 41