MOTO3 RIDERS TESTING IN VALENCIA AT THE FIRST OFFICIAL IRTA TEST
Moto3 KTM riders are at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia, Spain for three days from February 8 – 10 for tests together with the rest of the Moto3 and Moto2 class riders. MotoGP events are held on this classic circuit on a 4km track comprising of five right-handed corners, eight left-handers and a 650m straight.
After preliminary training last week for just the KTM-powered bikes, this will be the first occasion for the teams to evaluate the opposition ahead of the new category’s debut season beginning in Qatar on April 8, 2012, a spectacular event held under floodlights.
The top ten unofficial times saw eight of the top ten riders on KTM machinery, with Sandro Cortese the clear leader of the field during the first day of testing with a 1’41.6 on his KTM, nearly a full second ahead of any of his rivals.
Hector Faubel and Alberto Moncayo were up with the best riding the KTM-driven Kalex Moto3 bike on the opening day of training for the new MotoGP class on the Valencia Circuit on Wednesday.
The two riders from the Aspar Team Moto3 both registered second fastest time of 1’42.50 on a day when training was delayed until the afternoon because of cold temperatures. There was almost a full field of riders from the new class on the track. Both Faubel and Moncayo put in more than 40 laps, collected a lot of important data for the team and were happy with their fast time.
Hector Faubel 1’42.50 (45 laps): "We got new tires and there is a noticeable difference compared to those we tested last week and the ones we have been using up to now. Taking into account the low temperatures, this is very good, personally I was surprised and I think this is a good starting point.
Alberto Moncayo 1’42.50 (48 laps): "I'm pretty happy. I am also very pleased with the new tires that seem to work a little better. The engine continues to respond perfectly and we are working on the chassis settings."
Unofficial Moto3 lap times Wednesday (recorded by teams)
1. Sandro Cortese (D), Red Bull KTM Ajo, 1’41.6 (KTM, 39 laps)
2. Alberto Moncayo (E), Aspar Team Moto3, 1’42.5 (KALEX-KTM, 48 laps)
3. Hector Faubel (E), Aspar Team Moto3, 1'42.5 (KALEX-KTM, 45 laps)
4. Niklas Ajo (FIN), TT Motion Events Racing, 1'42.7 (KTM, 37 laps)
5. Luis Salom (E), RW Racing GP, 1'42.8 (KALEX-KTM, 30 laps)
6. Danny Kent (GB), Red Bull KTM Ajo, 1'42.8 (KTM, 43 laps)
7. Miguel Oliveira (P), Monlau Competicion, 1’42.9 (35 laps)
8. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (MA), Airasia-SIC-Ajo, 1’43.0 (KTM, 33 laps)
9. Efren Vazquez (E), Team Laglisse, 1’44.4 (30 laps)
10. Brad Binder (RSA), RW Racing GP, 1'44.9 (KALEX-KTM, 42 laps)
11. Arthur Sissis (AUS), Red Bull KTM Ajo, 1'45.0 (KTM, 52 laps)