ROCZEN EARNS 2ND AT TORONTO SUPERCROSS
TORONTO, Canada – Red Bull/KTM Factory rider Ken Roczen earned 2nd overall at the sixth round of the AMA East Lites Supercross Series held at Rogers Stadium in Toronto, Canada.
Roczen, who has been battling the flu all week, had a rough start to his day and took it easy in the practice sessions so he would have as much energy as possible throughout the night show.
Roczen had a great start in his heat and maintained a great pace out front to stay inside the top three for the six lap race. He crossed the checkers in 3rd position to easily transfer to the main.
In the main event he had another great start and rounded the first turn in 2nd position. Roczen quickly caught and passed Justin Barcia in the first rhythm section and crossed the first lap in the lead. He held the lead for a few more laps until he bobbled coming out of a corner and lost the position back to Barcia. He settled into 2nd place and remained in that position for the duration of the race to take a position on the podium.
After the race Roczen remarked, “I am glad that I was able to earn 2nd place tonight. This is great for my confidence after coming off of a bad race last weekend. I am going to go home and get some rest and hopefully beat this cold so I can come back stronger next weekend.”
Next Race: Houston, TX – March 31, 2012
Results Supercross Lites East Toronto
1. Justin Barcia (USA), Honda, 12:21.069 min (15 laps)
2. Ken Roczen (D), KTM, +7.439 sec
3. Blake Wharton (USA), Suzuki, +13.008
4. Jake Canada (USA), Honda, +25.219
5. Darryn Durham (USA), Kawasaki, +28.567
11. AJ Catanzaro (USA), KTM, +50.203
12. Shane Sewell (USA), KTM, 14 laps
13. Malcolm Stewart (USA), KTM, 14 laps, +1.681
17. Lance Vincent (USA), KTM, 12 laps
Standings Supercross Lites East after 6 of 9 rounds
1. Barcia, 145 points
2. Wharton, 117
3. Durham, 114
4. Roczen, 102
5. Canada, 90
8. Stewart, 50
12. PJ Larsen (USA), KTM, 38
13. Sewell, 37
14. Les Smith (USA), KTM, 34
19. Vincent, 25
23. Catanzaro, 17
27. Justin Starling (USA), KTM, 6
33. Sean Hackley (USA), KTM, 3