Sam Sunderland, a 24-year-old former motocrosser turned rally racer, joined the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing team in 2014 and in 2015 contested the Dakar Rally with the KTM lineup for the first time.
Sunderland had a great start to the 2015 edition, winning the opening stage, but his success was short-lived when in Stage 2, the longest in the rally he made a navigational error at the end of the stage that dropped him way down the order. He then crashed at the 59 km mark of Stage 3 and had to retire, albeit with minor shoulder injuries.
The British rider, who is mostly based in Dubai made his Dakar debut in 2012 at just 22 years of age and delivered competitive results on the days he completed. In 2014 he became the first British rider to win a stage in the Dakar Rally.
Sunderland had his debut ride with the KTM Factory Team at the Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge in 2014 and took line honors in Stages 1 and 3 before having to exit in Stage 4 after coming hard off a sand dune. He wrapped up his rally season with an impressive second overall in the Morocco Rally in October 2014. Like other members of the Red Bull KTM Factory Racing Team, Sunderland competes on the KTM 450 RALLY.
- 2010 1st UAE National Baja Championship
- 2011 1st UAE National Baja Championship
- 2011 2 stage wins in Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge
- 2011 3 stage wins in Australasian Safari
- 2012 7th Rally Dakar Stage 1
- 2012 13th Sardinia Rally (2nd in class)
- 2013 1st Merzouga Rally
- 2014 1st Rally Dakar Stage 2
- 2014 2nd OiLibya Rally of Morocco