SALOM WINS IN BRNO AND EXTENDS CHAMPIONSHIP LEAD!
Red Bull KTM Ajo rider Luis Salom extended his lead in the Moto3 Grand Prix championship points on Sunday when he took yet another spectacular victory on the Autodromo Circuit in Brno, Czech Republic.
Luis Salom was riding his KTM RC250 GP bike with a cracked heel after a crash in the last GP in Indianapolis. The Spanish rider set himself up perfectly and made his move in the final stages after shadow boxing with five riders, all on KTM-driven bikes from the first to the final lap. Maverick Viñales was second, one second behind Salom and Jonas Folger of Germany on the KALEX-KTM took the minor podium place. This left Estrella Galicia teammates Alex Rins and Alex Marquez out in the cold for the top places after they had both been in contention going into the final laps.
The group dominated the race from the start to the drop of the checkered flag. Salom is well known for last lap attacks but the leaders were so closely grouped and the lead changed so often that nothing was certain until he crossed the line.
Salom, in his second year of Moto3 has now won five of the ten rounds so far this season and has a 14-point lead over rival Maverick Viñales. Alex Rins is in third with 180 points so there is still a lot of racing before the title is decided.
There are seven rounds left in the season and riders meet again next weekend at the British Silverstone circuit to continue their fight for the title.
Results Moto3 Brno
1. Luis Salom (E), KTM, 40:58.770 min
2. Maverick Viñales (E), KTM, +0.507 sec
3. Jonas Folger (D), KALEX-KTM, +1.015
4. Alex Rins (E), KTM, +1.081
5. Alex Marquez (E), KTM, +1.240
6. Alexis Masbou (F), FTR Honda, +4.787
7. Jack Miller (AUS), FTR Honda, +17.638
8. Jakub Kornfeil (CZ), KALEX-KTM, +21.380
9. Miguel Oliveira (P), Mahindra, +21.404
10. Niccolò Antonelli (I), FTR Honda, +21.516
14. Arthur Sissis (AUS), KTM, +31.044
15. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (MAL), KTM, +39.198
16. Jasper Iwema (NL), KALEX-KTM, +39.267
17. Philipp Oettl (D), KALEX-KTM, +39.541
21. Livio Loi (B), KALEX-KTM, +39.947
22. Eric Granado (BR), KALEX-KTM, +40.111
23. Ana Carrasco (E), KTM, +45.275
24. Jules Danilo (F), KALEX-KTM, +45.436
25. Toni Finsterbusch (D), KALEX-KTM, +45.631
27. Florian Alt (D), KALEX-KTM, +49.315
DNF, Niklas Ajo (FIN), KTM
Standings Moto3 after 10 of 17 rounds
1. Salom, 208 points
2. M. Viñales, 194
3. Rins, 180
4. Folger, 110
5. Marquez, 101
6. Oliveira, 84
7. Miller, 56
8. Masbou, 56
9. Sissis, 51
10. Khairuddin, 50
12. Kornfeil, 46
14. Ajo, 37
20. Iwema, 8
21. Granado, 7
24. Loi, 3
25. Oettl, 1
Manufacturers Standings Moto3 after 10 of 17 rounds
1. KTM, 250 points
2. KALEX-KTM, 110
3. Mahindra, 93