ANOTHER 3-WAY KTM MOTO3 PODIUM AT THE SACHSENRING IN GERMANY!
KTM continued its domination of the Moto3 World Championship on Sunday at the Grand Prix of Germany when Alex Rins, Luis Salom and Maverick Viñales took the all Spanish glory on the Sachsenring again underlining the dominance of the KTM RC250 GP Moto3 machinery.
And while it was Alex Rins whose late move let him claim the prize, Red Bull KTM Ajo factory rider Luis Salom continues to lead the championship points with a 14-point margin over Maverick Viñales with Rins in third.
These three riders have settled in to dominate the competition in recent rounds and are building an edge on the competition. Other top KTM riders on Sunday were Alex Marquez in fifth, Jonas Folger of Germany in eighth place on the KALEX-KTM and Salom’s factory teammate Australian teenager Arthur Sissis rounding off the top ten. The third Red Bull KTM Ajo rider, Zulfahmi Khairuddin of Malaysia finished in sixteenth on his KTM RC250 GP bike.
But it was Rins who was in the ascendency on the sweeping technical German circuit. He started on pole and led throughout apart from the occasional moments when he decided to let one of the other two leaders take the pressure. Meanwhile Salom sat in a comfortable third in the lead group, ready to make his now characteristic pounce. Then in lap 24 Viñales took the lead as Rins ran wide only to see Salom slip past them both in the Sachsen corner.
But the race was no yet over and Rins again made a move on Viñales and went after Salom. He made his move in the second last corner and picked up his second GP victory for the season. The front three were only separated by 2.5 tenths of a second.
Moto3 now has a four-week summer break and resumes on August 18 for the Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.
Results Moto3 Sachsenring
1. Alex Rins (E), KTM, 39:34.735 min
2. Luis Salom (E), KTM, +0.232 sec
3. Maverick Viñales (E), KTM, +0.248
4. Miguel Oliveira (P), Mahindra, +4.982
5. Alex Marquez (E), KTM, +5.201
6. Efren Vazquez (E), Mahindra, +5.456
7. Jack Miller (AUS), FTR Honda, +10.659
8. Jonas Folger (D), KALEX-KTM, +15.593
9. Brad Binder (RSA), Suter Honda, +18.406
10. Arthur Sissis (AUS), KTM, +18.447
11. Jakub Kornfeil (CZ), KALEX-KTM, +18.562
14. Jasper Iwema (NL), KALEX-KTM, +20.646
16. Zulfahmi Khairuddin (MAL), KTM, +23.845
17. Philipp Oettl (D), KALEX-KTM, +24.485
18. Niklas Ajo (FIN), KTM, +36.968
21. Toni Finsterbusch (D), KALEX-KTM, +51.410
22. Livio Loi (B), KALEX-KTM, +52.549
24. Ana Carrasco (E), KTM, +54.241
29. Florian Alt (D), KALEX-KTM, +1:24.498 min
DNF, Eric Granado (BR)l, KALEX-KTM, 24 laps
Standings Moto3 after 8 of 17 rounds
1. Salom, 172
2. M. Viñales, 158
3. Rins, 142
4. Folger, 81
5. Marquez, 70
6. Oliveira, 69
7. Miller, 47
8. Binder, 46
9. Alexis Masbou (F), FTR Honda, 42
10. Vazquez, 41
11. Khairuddin, 40
12. Sissis, 39
13. Kornfeil, 32
14. Ajo, 32
20. Iwema, 8
21. Granado, 7
24. Loi, 1
25. Oettl, 1
Manufacturers Standings Moto3 after 8 of 17 rounds
1. KTM, 200 points
2. KALEX-KTM, 81
3. Mahindra, 78